In a few weeks, an exciting and productive year in the International Executive Committee (IEC) will end for us. Therefore, we are looking for motivated people to take over the IEC of Etudes Sans Frontières International in the term 2019/2020 and any interested person is invited to apply for a position in the IEC.
The election will take place at the ESF International Council Meeting on the 21th of July, at 7:30pm Central European Summer Time, held by conference call.
Description of the core tasks of IEC members
- Main guardian of mission and values of the organization
- Main spokesperson of the organization
- Leads the meetings of the IEC, coordinates the IEC and active ESFI members
- Main consultant to ESF chapters
- Responsible for the distribution of ongoing tasks and initiation of projects
- Chairs meetings of the IC Vice-President:
- Assists president in all his (her) tasks
- Serves as a secretary for the IEC meetings: sends invitation, proposes agenda, moderates the meeting, takes notes and circulates the minutes among the IEC members and the chapters
- Takes notes and circulates minutes of meetings of IC
- Replaces president when necessary
- Responsible for handling the ESFI bank account and funds
- Keeps track of inflows and disbursement of funds, keeps IEC up to date on the financial situation
- Presents an annual financial report at the IC meeting that summarizes financial activities and assets of the finishing year and a provisional budget for the following year
- Handles matters of taxation (as far as this is required) and the according accounting
- Main consultants to president and vice-president
- Take an active part in every meeting of IEC and participate in IEC projects
- Fulfill regular tasks (ex. communications, website administration, publicity, translation, etc)
The distribution of core tasks and role can be determined by each IEC individually and therefore vary from term to term.
The main responsibility of the IEC is to initiate and work on projects that a) further communication of chapters, members and scholarship holders in ESF projects, b) support the founding of new chapters and c) help support individual chapters and cross-chapter cooperation. Examples of projects of the 2018/2019 IEC (that can be continued during the next term):
- Develop a means of communication/communication platform between ESF members and scholarship holders / scholarship holders among themselves
- Chapter partnership: Support struggling chapters by proposing partnerships between chapters and strong chapters / local groups of strong chapters (e.g. of ESF Germany)
Move of the registration location to Germany
The IC voted to move the registration location of ESF International from France to Germany two years ago, since this will reduce bureaucracy and make managing ESF a lot easier. The 2018/2019 IEC has researched this and come to the conclusion, that a new organization has to be founded in Germany, and then the old one dissolved in France. Since the foundation of a new organization in Germany requires 7 members, the plan is for the new IEC (2019/2020) and the current IEC to found the organization together, with the current IEC in charge. Once the organization is running in Germany, the new IEC will dissolve the French organization. This means that you as the new IEC will found the German organization together with us and then dissolve the French organization.
Requirements for president and vice-president
You must be a registered member of an ESFI chapter (ESFI Statutes, XIII)
Recommended capacities for all positions
- Have been an active member of a ESF chapter or a similar organization for at least half a year
- Have motivation and ideas to improve existing ESF networks (communications, structure, etc.) and to further develop these all across the world
- Be able to work and communicate in English, the main working language of
- Be able to participate in the foundation of a new organization in Germany
- Please write a motivation letter (no longer than one page) in English answering the following questions:
- What experience do you have in ESFI’s field of work (acquired through ESF work or in similar organizations)?
- What do you want to achieve for ESFI during the term?
- Which personal goals do you want to achieve through your work for ESFI?
- Please write a short CV in tabular form (no longer than one page) in Please indicate if you are a registered member in a ESF chapter.
- Please send these two elements together in one PDF file titled “First name Family name Application IEC 2015.pdf” to Lea Hohmann, current ESFI President: hohmann@esf- international.org
Please send your application latest until the 30th of June 2019 (in order to give the IC delegates enough time to study all applications)
The election of the 2016-2017 IEC members will take place at the IC meeting on 19th of June 2016 via conference call. Candidates who have handed in their motivation letter and one-page CV to the president at least 2 days before the date fixed for the IC meeting are strongly encouraged to take part in the IC discussions, but their participation is not mandatory. They have to be aware that they have no voting rights in the IEC election (unless they are delegates from an ESF Chapter).
The five candidates elected to the new IEC will decide amongst themselves at their first formal IEC meeting the functions and responsibilities they wish to fulfill and inform the Chapters’ Executive Committees about their decision as soon as possible.
We are looking forward to your application!